Due to the unique nature of slip and fall accidents, it is almost impossible to provide guidance on how much you should expect to receive in an average slip and fall settlement. Depending on a wide variety of factors, which are discussed below, you could expect to get a huge settlement, or a very modest one.
In these cases, it’s a good idea to work with an experienced slip and fall attorney. These lawyers can help guide you through the complex legal world of slip and fall cases and will ensure that you get every penny to which you are due.
What Factors Affect a Slip and Fall Settlement?
While there are many issues that can influence the outcome of a slip and fall case, the following are some of the most important:
- Expenses Due to the Accident. If you suffered a very significant accident that left you unable to work, pay bills, and generally in a tough spot financially; this will likely factor into your settlement. Medical bills can pile up quickly. This is especially true if your injury requires medications and ongoing rehab treatments for weeks or months after the fact. Ensure that you hold onto everything related to your case with regards to your expenses such as your medical bills, receipts, etc.
- Local Attitudes. Depending on the local area or state in which your accident took place, there may be a certain attitude present about these cases. For example, certain parts of the country may view legal proceedings such as slip and fall accidents as the fault of the person who falls every time. While other areas may look at the same situation with the complete opposite perspective. This is not something that you can necessarily influence, but it is important to consider nonetheless.
- Other Factors. Certain types of injuries, attitudes of defendants, and time-sensitive cases can all influence the size of a settlement. In the case of an older person who fell and suffered vision loss due to hitting his or her head on the concrete, this may generate a bigger settlement than a person who fell and slightly injured her knee. Similarly, if the defense needs to close this case as quickly as possible for whatever reason, they may agree to a higher settlement in order to move on.
What Can You Do to Improve Your Chances of Receiving a Bigger Settlement in a Slip and Fall Case?
There are a few things to ensure you do if you’ve suffered a slip and fall accident:
- Document the Scene. Take pictures and write down notes about the accident scene if you are able to do so. These pieces of evidence can be invaluable to your case.
- Talk with any Witnesses. If anyone watched the accident unfold, ensure that you mark down their contact information so that you can strengthen your case through their testimony later on, if need be.
- Work with an Experienced Lawyer. Perhaps most importantly of all, having a good slip and fall attorney on your side will help you receive the most compensation possible in your slip and fall case.